Geared up for a new experience, and now you want to drag your bike along with you. With a Subaru Outback, you can take your bike in different ways to any cycling trip or adventure.
Now, how do you carry a bike on a Subaru Outback? Fret not! We are here to show how you can easily carry your favorite bike wherever you want. Your kids can also have their trailer attached to double their fun.
Can You Fit A Bike In A Subaru Outback
Without any speck of doubt, you can fit a bike in a Subaru Outback. The best bike rack for Subaru outback should carry at least 4 of them!
However, bike transportation relies on bike racks. Without a compatible one, the bike will not attach firmly. Thus, it is necessary to select one that remains steady throughout the ride.
Now that you know you can fit a bike in a Subaru Outback, let us see “how” you can do that.
How to Carry a Bike on a Subaru Outback
Follow the steps below to carry your bicycle long distances without damaging your car’s rear side and your bike.
Step 1: Choose the Bike Rack Type
Choosing the most stable bike rack is essential but daunting at the same time. Like any other product, bike racks also come in different types and styles. Mainly, there are three: roof mount bike racks, trunk-mounted bike racks, and hitch-mount bike racks.
As the different types of racks have separate pros and cons, people will opt for the one that suits their criteria. For example, a person having trouble lifting the bike on the car’s roof will not go for roof-mounted racks.
Types of Rack
Let us look at the different styles of racks in depth.
1. Roof Mount Rack
Among all three, this rack saves up space. In addition, while you travel, the bike will stay attached on top of the vehicle. Even more, it is easy to install, eliminating the need to take off the front wheels.
Though it does not move as much or cause damage, lifting it to the top is a hassle. For those who struggle with this, there are 2 other types to check out.
2. Trunk-Mount Rack
For not-so-frequent usage, trunk-mounted racks are an easy go-to. These bike racks remain linked to the car’s rear side using adjustable straps, cradles, and ratcheting arms.
As they arrive pre-assembled, they are quite easy and quick to install and remove. When not in use, the racks can be folded easily.
One downside is that these racks might block the Subaru’s license plate.
3. Hitch-Mount Rack
Hitch-Mount racks are the most common rack styles. They arrive in 2 styles – platform style and hanging style.
Usually, these are expensive as they can carry 4 bikes at max, even on rough terrain. On such rough tracks, it is better to use gravel bike pedals.
Your whole squad can carry their bikes. It cannot get better than this!
People admire them for their roomy space, secure storage, and foldability. For its easy installation, abrasion-free characteristics, and stability, the Thule T2 is most people’s favorite choice.
Be careful as they might cause a toll on your gas mileage. Moreover, just like trunk-mount racks, they might end up blocking your license plate as well.
After you have made up your mind on which type to choose, select the excellent quality bike rack. After all, there are many bike racks for Subaru Outback to choose from!
Step 2: Install the Bike Rack on Your Subaru Outback
Generally, there are 2 ways to install a bike rack. The first way is applicable for the roof mount rack, and the second is for the truck-mount and hitch-mount rack.
1. Mounting Roof Mount Rack
Follow the steps below to install a roof mount rack:
- Simply pull up the Outback’s lever on the roof.
- Rotate each bar 90 degrees to the other side.
- Then place the crossbar, which is versatile and user-friendly, into place.
- Using torque wrench, adjust the crossbar load spread. Loosen and remove the rear crossbar.
- Move the crossbar rearward. Realign it with the holes located on the passenger side. Again, use the torque wrench to tighten back down.
- Finally, lift your bike and attach it to the crossbars!
2. Mounting Truck-Mount Rack
Follow the steps below to install a truck-mount rack. Note that the same method can be used for hitch-mount racks as well.
- Open up the reader manual and read the instruction to assemble your bike rack. Do not worry, as most bike racks come assembled these days.
- Place the bottom feet on the bumper and the rubber feet on the window.
- The bike racks come with a different number of straps. In our example, we will be using the one with 6 straps.
- The clips have different labels on where to attach the straps. Follow the labels accordingly to attach them. In our case, we attached two at the bottom, two on both sides, and two at the top. Make sure your straps are flat across the top.
- Now lift your bike up and place it on top of the 2 hooks, angled in 15-45 degrees.
- For added security, use some security straps across the wheel. Lastly, to keep your bike from swaying, lock its head tube.
Those are all the steps on how to install a bike rack on your Subaru Outback. So, this is how you can carry your bike without any worries!
Moving forward, you can also add some fun to your kids’ adventures by taking their trailer. But, how to attach a bike trailer? Read on!
Step 3: Attach the Bike Trailer
Of course, you do not want to enjoy your weekend adventure all alone. Your kids might want to join in as well. So, we will be summing up your bike carrying on your Subaru Outback with this step!
- Firstly, install your receiver onto your seat post.
- Replace your bike seat next.
- Now, connect your trailer hitch to your receiver.
- Secure the Safety Strap.
- Finally, go for a test drive.
Kudos! Now you know how to attach a bike trailer. Enjoy your ride with your kids.
How do you carry a bike on a Subaru outback? Hopefully, this article gave you the answer.
So, be it hitch-mounted, roof-mounted, or trunk-mounted rack, choose the one that is incredibly steady for you. So what are you waiting for? Take your Subaru Outback and your bike, and fly off on an amazing road trip!